MARINE SKIPPERS ACADEMY
“Experience the Art of Surf Launching”
Certification qualifies you for up to a 100 ton sport & recreation vessel and a 20 ton commercial vessel. Your Safety is our concern. Over 60 000 student surf launches over a period of 15 years with no serious injuries.
In order to obtain a certificate of competence for small power driven vessels from the South African Maritime Safety Authority (SAMSA) the following procedure can be followed:
Practical at Sodwana Bay Camp Jonathan:
- 4 Days – Thursday 07h00 to Sunday 13h00.
- 12 Qualifying surf launches on our specially rigged trainer boats.
- Both semi-rigid and ski-boats will be trained on to obtain endorsements for category B (40 Nautical miles offshore) or C (15 Nm) – “experience dependent”.
- The theory examination is conducted during the 4 day course in Sodwana Bay.
Extra Specialities covered:
- Technical information of hull design and deck layout
- Maintenance, servicing and operation of outboard motors
- How to recover and restore a capsized rig
- Medical CPR, near drowning and dive medical problems
- How to buy new and second hand boats
- GPS theory and practical
- Fish finding theory and practical
- Commercial dive charter practices
- How to start game fishing and spear fishing
R 8 900 including books, map, lectures by SAMSA authorised trainers, practical training, theoretical examination and 4 nights self catering accommodation. (No rebate will be given if students choose other accommodation)
A certificate of competence will be issued by SAMSA
* Please verify dates before